Membership fees and generous donations to PRAS allow us to support many different initiatives in our service area. These projects are certainly making a difference to our communities, the environment, and bird life.
Your donations at work...
- New bird feeders at Cedar Valley Hospice were purchased; PRAS volunteers fill the feeders routinely throughout the year.
- $500 was awarded to Jon Stravers to continue Cerulean Warbler research in NE Iowa. Straver's research is critical to the conservation of this species and helped to secure part of the Yellow River Forest being named as a globally important bird area.
- Funds were awarded to Hartman Reserve to cover taxidermy fees for a bird display being built for their new building.
Buchanan Co. for a winter duck and raptor building-$1,000
Buchanan Co. for an egg display-$500
Butler Co. for phase 1 of a sod house-$1,000 (actual cost is $1,093)Grant Awards for Spring 2016
Thanks to your generosity, the 2015 Bird-A-Thon broke records with over $7000 raised. The PRAS Board recently awarded grants to the following projects, putting your donations to good use. All of the counties in our PRAS service area had organizations that received funding this year. A total of $5650 was awarded; congratulations to those who received grants!
- Bremer County Conservation Board - Canoe trailer - $500 -- See more details here.
PRAS funds contributed in the completion of a new canoe trailer for Bremer County.
- Grundy County Conservation Board- Prairie cross-section exhibit - $1000
- Black Hawk County - Hartman Reserve - 10 binoculars - $500 See report & photo.
|Buchanan County Conservation Board- Buckets for Butterflies|
- Buchanan County Conservation Board - $500 for eagle carrier & funds for the "Buckets for Butterflies" project See report and photos.
- Butler County Conservation Board - 20 binoculars - $650 See report.
- Waterloo Center for the Arts - Nature camp for youth - $500
- Sustainable Independence - PRAS purchased one solar panel - $1,000